As it turns out, finding out how to do it right is not nearly as easy as it should be, due to some tricky interweavement with plug-in loading and execution order.
After much struggle with an annoyingly pertinacious cross-browser issue, and a thorough rework at both conceptual and code level, here it is, at last:
Sliding Notes 1.2.1
I’m pleased to announce that my efforts to overcome the cross-browser issues have yielded a promissing new Sliding Notes version. I’m running it on this site alredy, and I’d be grateful for your feedback on how it works with different browsers.
Stay tuned while I’m running some more tests and prepare an official release.
I am terribly sorry to announce that I’m temporarily withdrawing the 1.1 series due to cross-browser problems. The 1.0rc5 version is now marked as the “stable version”, and it will remain so until I’ve found a reliable solution to the problem. (The 1.1.0 version is still available through “Other Versions “).
Again, I’m really sorry for the inconvenience, but I thought this is the only fair thing to do right now (next to resolving the issue).
I’ve just received an email asking whether Sliding Notes support embedding YouTube videos inside.
I’m happy to confirm that they do! Here is a cool video» that proves it!
I used the Insights plug-in to embed the video object directly between the slider tags.
But: Using a video (or any other) shortcode in a Sliding Note is currently not supported.
Today I’m releasing version 1.1.0 of Sliding Notes. This is a major rewrite of the plug-in and the beginning of the 1.1 series.
This post requires a certain degree of technical savvyness.
When experimenting with various shortcode locations in the post content, I noticed that under some conditions the shortcode behaved a bit strange with regard to paragraph arrangement. So I implemented a couple of “diagnostic” shortcodes and filters to further investigate the problem. But before I go into that, follow me on a short tour through what the Shortcode API is. Read more >>
Dan asked me today how to accomplish a centered slider button/title, while keeping the note content left-aligned. While I try to work out a neater solution, I’d like to present to the impatient a way to do it right away, with the current version of Sliding Notes (1.0rc5), taking Dan’s example as a foundation. It’s a bit involved in the sense that it takes editing some HTML first, but it’s a feasible way to go nonetheless (and after setting up the HTML structure, the visual editor can be used as well).